Sort of following suit, American decided to cut some ties with Alaska. Thanks to Delta's great example in 2016. Delta decided to completely cut ties with Alaska and everything ended in April, 2017. Delta's decision was probably due to the ongoing fight with Alaska for the dominance of the Seattle hub. American? It appears to be related to American's revenues and profits.
WHAT'S NOT CHANGING:
- You'll still earn miles on domestic American Airlines flights with an Alaska Airlines (AS) flight number, and on all American international flights.
- You'll still be able to redeem miles on American flights globally.
- Alaska Lounge members can still access Admirals Club lounges when traveling on Alaska or American.
WHAT IS CHANGING:
- American Airlines domestic flights with an "AA" flight number will no longer earn Mileage Plan miles.
- You'll no longer receive elite benefits when traveling on American Airlines after December 31, 2017.
- Some award levels will be changing for travel booked in 2018.